Hello! I have just started using Gaea and I am loving it! However, I have encountered a bizarre artifact and I was wondering if this is fixable.
I have a clipped 3K SRTM height map that I am using erosion to "up-res" to 16K. The results so far have been spectacular, except there seems to be a barely perceptible striping in the heightmap. It is very subtle, and only appears to the naked eye when I have cranked the contrast in Photoshop.
Unfortunately, VRay is picking it up when I go to render the terrain with VRayDisplacement in 3D mode. It looks like corduroy pants.
I first thought this was a VRay issue, since it does not happen when the VRayDisplacement is set to 2D mode. Then my coworker took a look at the EXR in Photoshop and revealed that the stripes are baked into the height data. Something about the 3d displacement filtering algorithm is more sensitive to the error I suppose. The problem is fixed with a simple gaussian blur in Photoshop, but I would prefer not to have to wipe out the extra detail. This does not appear when building at lower resolutions (at least not at 4K, I didn't try 8K). I would just keep the displacement set to 2D mode, but it has not been optimized for large textures and adds about 5 minutes of load time that 3D Mode does not.
Here is my graph
I am using a heal node on the SRTM data, which completely fixed another artifact that was occuring in my terrain.
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any insights into this problem. If not, I can blur the problem out and make do with a lower resolution texture, but I would love to use the full size one.